Posted by Joe Amorosino
Two Red Sox employees are standing by their accounts of pitchers Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and John Lackey drinking beer in the dugout during games. Both team employees witnessed the drinking on multiple occasions at Fenway Park.
In reaction to all three pitchers denying the report, the first Red Sox employee said, "I know what I saw. They [Beckett, Lester, Lackey] know it's true."
The second team employee said, "They did it this year and last year. It's been a common practice with Beckett dating back to 2009."
An additional Red Sox source, who did not witness the drinking, responded: "I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear they took beers back down to the bench."
As we reported on WHDH-TV on Tuesday, Beckett, Lester and Lackey would exit the dugout as early as the 6th inning on nights they were not pitching, walk back to the clubhouse, and fill cups with Bud Light beer. They would then return to the dugout with cups of beer and drink while watching the game. It didn’t make a difference whether the Red Sox were winning or losing at the time and the practice became more frequent later in the 2011 season. One Red Sox employee said Beckett, Lester and Lackey appeared “bored on nights they weren’t pitching and this is how they entertained themselves.”
Another Red Sox employee described the routine like this: “Beckett would come down the stairs from the dugout, walking through the corridor to the clubhouse and say ‘it’s about that time’. Becket was the instigator but Lester and Lackey were right behind him. It was blatant and hard not to notice what was going on with all three guys leaving at once.”
Both Red Sox employees said it was exclusively those three pitchers, Beckett, Lester and Lackey, who were drinking in the dugout during games.
The Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham reports that he independently confirmed the three pitchers were drinking in the dugout during games this past season.
In statements released late Tuesday night, Beckett, Lester, Lackey and former Red Sox manager Terry Francona told the team that the allegations about drinking in the dugout during the 2011 season are false. Team management added that they believe the players’ statements to be factual and honest.
The Red Sox released the following statements on Tuesday night after 7News released the reports:
JON LESTER: "The accusation that we were drinking in the dugout during games is completely false. Anonymous sources are continuing to provide exaggerated and, in this case, inaccurate information to the media.
JOSH BECKETT: "I cannot let this allegation go without response; enough is enough. I admit that I made mistakes along the way this season, but this has gone too far. To say that we drank in the dugout during the game is not true."
JOHN LACKEY: "There are things that went on this season that shouldn't have happened, but this latest rumor is not true, and I felt that it was important to try to stop this from going any further."
TERRY FRANCONA: "In 32 years of professional baseball, I have never seen someone drinking beer in the dugout."
PRESIDENT/CEO LARRY LUCCHINO ON BEHALF OF THE BOSTON RED SOX:
"Tonight our organization has heard directly from Jon, Josh, John, and former manager Terry Francona. Each has assured us that the allegation that surfaced today about drinking in the dugout during games in 2011 is false, and we accept their statements as honest and factual.
"As we continue our internal examination to fully understand what went wrong in September, 2011, we appreciate these strong and clear statements from our players.
"It is time to look forward and move forward, rather than allow a reckless, unsubstantiated accusation from 'anonymous sources' to mislead the public."
You can follow Joe Amorosino on twitter at http://twitter.com/jamorosinoon7 and facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joe-Amorosino/132253236838991
Posted by Joe Amorosino
Theo Epstein’s tenure as Red Sox General Manager appears to be on the verge of ending, with an offer to run the Chicago Cubs on the table.
I spoke with an MLB source Tuesday night, who told me there was "Still a lot to work through" - but that the deal could happen as soon as Wednesday.
Two separate sources, both inside the Red Sox organization, say they do expect Theo to leave. One source said that it is not definite, but it is expected. The other source said, "Knowing Theo, I’m not 100 percent convinced that he'll go, but I expect him to.”
They added that Red Sox ownership had made Theo a new contract offer to stay, after his current contract runs out at the end of next season.
Posted by Joe Amorosino
I caught up with #17 Stan Jonathan, the toughest player in Bruins history, at game four between the B’s and Flyers. At 5’8’’ 175lbs, the full-blooded Tuscarora Indian backed down to no one. He destroyed opposing players back in the late-70’s and early 80’s with his “take two punches to land one” style – that one punch of course far more damaging. In 391 games with the Bruins, the “Bulldog” accumulated 738 penalty minutes. Check out the photo on my Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/eqPPlS