The Dish : Firefly\'s -- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
The Dish: Firefly's -- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
On the Web
The Restaurant: Firefly's Bodacious Barbecue and Beyond
The Chef: Steve Uliss
The Dish: Jamaican Jerk Chicken
JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN
YIELD: 4 - 6
Chicken Breasts - boneless, skinless 4 - 6 (6 oz. ea.)
Jamaican Jerk Marinade 1 qt.
Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce 1 qt.
1. Wash chicken breasts and trim any visible fat.
2. With the flat side of a meat tenderizer, carefully pound out each breast to ½" thickness.
3. Remove approximately 2 oz. of the Jamaican Jerk Marinade and reserve in a separate bowl to be used in Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce recipe.
4. Place the chicken breasts into the remaining marinade, cover and refrigerate for 4 - 24 hours.
1. Heat grill to a medium high heat.
2. Place chicken on grill and cook for 4 - 5 minutes on each side or until reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
3. When chicken is just about done, baste with Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy.
JAMAICAN JERK MARINADE
White Vinegar ½ oz.
Fresh Scallions, sliced ½" thick 24 oz.
Scotch Bonnet Peppers 1 oz.
Small dice, use seeds from ¼ of one pepper
Lime Juice 3 oz.
Soy Sauce 1 ½ oz.
Ground Allspice 1 oz.
Bay Leaves 3 ea.
Garlic, fresh, minced 1 ½ oz.
Salt 1 oz.
Sugar ¾ oz.
Thyme, dried ¼ oz.
Cinnamon ¼ oz.
1. Wash and slice scallions as described.
2. Wash the scotch bonnet peppers. Remove the stems and seeds - saving ¼ of the seeds of 1 pepper.
3. Combine all ingredients in a large blender or food processor and blend.
4. Remove from blender to a clean storage container and cover.
5. Label and refrigerate until ready to use.
JAMAICAN BBQ SAUCE
Ketchup 18 oz.
Soy Sauce ½ cup
Tobasco Sauce ¾ tsp.
Scallions - washed, sliced thin 1 ½ oz.
Garlic, fresh - peeled and minced 1 ¼ oz.
Ginger, fresh, - peeled and minced 1 ¼ oz.
Dark Brown Sugar 4 ½ oz.
White Vinegar 4 oz.
Dark Rum 2 oz.
Jamaican Jerk Marinade (see separate recipe) 1 oz.
1. Combine all ingredients except rum and scallions in a clean saucepot and bring to a boil. Stir often to dissolve sugar.
2. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for approximately 12 to 15 minutes until sauce thickens. Increase heat to high and add rum and flambé.
3. Remove from heat and add sliced scallions.
4. Cool quickly to below 40 degrees.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
235 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, MA 01702
350 East Main Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
516 Adams Street
Quincy, MA 02169
(Copyright (c) 2009 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)