The Dish : Peach Cobbler at South End Buttery Recipe
The Dish: Peach Cobbler at South End Buttery
-- 1 cup all purpose flour
-- 3 tablespoons sugar
-- 1 teaspoon baking powder
-- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
-- 2 ½ ounces cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½ cubes
-- 1/3 cup heavy cream
-- 5 medium size peaches, sliced ¼ thick (approx. 1.25 pounds of prepped peaches)
-- 1 ½ cup sugar
-- 1/3 cup cornstarch
-- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
-- 2 pinches cinnamon
-- 1 pinch nutmeg
-- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 2 lemons)
-- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Prepare the biscuit topping using a kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the 5qt mixing bowl and mix on low speed to blend finely.
3) With the machine running, add the butter and continue mixing until about ¾ of the butter is cut in.
4) Slowly pour in the cream and continue to mix just to dampen the ingredients, less than a minute. The dough should be loose and crumbly, but moist. Set aside.
5) Place prepped peaches in a large bowl.
6) In a separate medium bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spices with a whisk to blend finely.
7) Pour the lemon juice and extracts over the peaches and gently hand toss.
8) Pour the dry mixture over the peaches and gently hand toss to coat well. Let sit for about 30 minutes to macerate.
9) Pour everything in a colander to drain the liquids from the peaches. Return the peaches to the bowl. Cook the strained liquids over a low heat stirring just until the mixture starts to thicken. Cool just a bit then pour the mixture over the peaches and toss to coat.
10) Divide the filling and liquids into ovenproof containers (we use individual porcelain dishes that are 5deep and 1 ½ high). Be sure to use all the liquids!
11) Crumble the biscuit topping over the filling and sprinkle each with a little sugar.
12) Place the containers on a sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until the biscuit is golden and the peach filling starts to bubble up around the sides.
13) Cool briefly then top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!
(Copyright (c) 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)