The Dish : Hanukkah Sufganiyot Recipe
The Dish: Hanukkah Sufganiyot
-- 2 tbsp or packages dry yeast
-- 4 tbsp sugar and sugar for rolling
-- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk or water
-- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
-- 2 egg yolks
-- Pinch of salt
-- 1 tsp cinnamon
-- 1½ tbsp softened butte or margarine, at room temperature
-- Vegetable oil for deep frying
-- Plum, strawberry, or apricot preserves
1. Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in the milk or water. Let sit 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour. Place it on a board and make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture, the egg yolks, salt, cinnamon, and the remaining sugar. Knead well. Work the butter or margarine and knead until the dough is elastic.
3. Cover and let rise overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Sprinkle flour on the board. Roll the dough out to 1/8 inch. Cut out with a glass into rounds about 2 inches in diameter.
5. Place jam on half of the rounds, lightly coat the edges of the rounds with water. Place the other half of the rounds on top and gently pinch the edges to secure the dough.
6. Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy pot and heat to 325 degrees F.
7. Drop the doughnuts in the oil, 4-5 at a time, turning when brown. Drain on paper towels.
8. Roll in granulated sugar and cinnamon then serve. You can make a larger Sufganiot if you like. What ever you decide, eat them immediately! And be careful of the hot jam!
(Copyright (c) 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)