The Dish : Peppermint Meringue Recipe
The Dish: Peppermint Meringue
-- 4 egg whites (1/2 cup) at room temperature
-- ½ tsp cream of tartar
-- ½ cup and 1 Tbs Sugar
-- 1 cup 6x sugar
-- ¼ - ½ cup crushed peppermint stick candies
-- ¼ tsp mint extract (optional)
1. Turn on oven to 200 degrees
2. Prepare baking pans - line with parchment paper or with a silpat
3. Place peppermint candies in food processor and pulse into crushed; set aside
4. Place egg whites in a mixing bowl. Whip whites with a mixer or with a hand mixer until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and continue whipping.
5. Slowly pour sugar into whites and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Whites will be 'done' when very stiff and shiny.
6. Remove bowl from mixing stand, and sift 6x sugar over the whipped whites. Gently fold 6x sugar into whipped whites until fully incorporated.
7. Gently fold in crushed peppermint candies. If an extra minty taste is desired, add ¼ tsp mint extra.
8. If using a spoon, scoop meringues onto baking pan. If piping, place whipped whites into bag fitted with tip, and pipe swirls on baking sheet.
9. Bake cookies for at least an hour, or until the outside is crisp and the inside of the cookie is almost completely dry. (check this by cracking open a cookie)
Fold mini chocolate chips into meringue batter before baking
Dip baked meringues into melted chocolate, and then into crushed peppermint candies
Look online for ideas on different shapes/animals you can make with meringue