The Dish : Dante -- Spaghetti \'a la guitarra\' or \'a la chitarra\' Recipe
The Dish: Dante -- Spaghetti 'a la guitarra' or 'a la chitarra'
Executive Chef Dante de Magistris
1 gallon water for cooking pasta
¼ cup coarse sea salt
10 oz. fresh made spaghetti a la chitarra (see recipe)
½ cup diced pancetta
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 slivers garlic (peel and slice garlic clove paper thin lengthwise)
¾ cup sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
2 large king oyster mushrooms sliced in ¼ inch rounds (substitute any mushrooms you like)
2 tablespoons cured lemons
¾ cup peeled rock shrimp
Hot red pepper flakes to taste
Fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons lemon breadcrumbs (see recipe)
1. Fill a large saucepot with the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the coarse sea salt.
2. Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Render the pancetta, just until it is crispy and golden brown. This will take about two minutes. Remove and discard some of the pancetta fat. Set aside.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1½-tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and the sliced garlic. Allow the garlic to flavor the oil. The garlic should stay white and translucent. It is important to not brown the garlic. Then, add the cherry tomatoes and the mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt and let cook for 30 seconds. Next, add ¼ cup pasta water, the cured lemons, a desired amount of hot red pepper flakes and finally the rock shrimp. Allow the ingredients in the pan to simmer for one minute and set aside.
4. Boil the chitarra till al dente about 2½ minutes. Heat up the sauce over high heat and add the cooked pasta. Toss together with the crispy pancetta, the parsley and the remaining 1½ tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Plate the spaghetti in warm bowls and garnish with the lemon breadcrumbs. Serve immediately. "Fresh pasta doesn't wait for a king."
40 Edwin H Land Blvd
Cambridge, MA 02142
(Copyright 2007 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)