The Dish : Rialto -- Eggplant stuffed with lamb sausage Recipe
The Dish: Rialto -- Eggplant stuffed with lamb sausage
Chief Chef: Jody Adams
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 rolls)
1 large globe eggplant - 1 pound, sides trimmed, peeled and then cut lengthwise into 8 slices
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup onion, cut into ¼ inch dice
1 teaspoon fennel seed
½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
¼ cup grated tomato
2 tablespoons chopped basil
¼ cup panko crumbs
½ pound ground lamb
1 cup tomato sauce
¼ cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Preheat a grill to 350°F.
- Season the eggplant with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan. Place 4 eggplant slices in the pan and sear on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes. Cover the pan while searing the eggplant. The eggplant should not be completely cooked through.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a bowl, mix the onion with the fennel seed, hot red pepper flakes, grated tomato, basil, panko crumbs and ground lamb. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the eggplant out on a cutting board. Put an eighth of the lamb at the end of each eggplant slice. Roll up the slices and transfer to a small sauté pan.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, cover with a piece of parchment and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue to cook until the lamb is cooked through and the eggplant is tender. If it seems to be getting too dry before the meat is cooked, add a little water.
1 Bennett Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Jody is one of 80 other chefs participating in the lifesavor "Boston's Best Dinner Party with a Conscience", tomorrow night, to support Community Servings, Greater Boston's home delivered meals program for the critically ill.
(Copyright (c) 2008 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)