The Dish: The Dana Farber Cancer Institute -- Cancer fighting foods
The Dish Archive: The Dish: The Dana Farber Cancer Institute -- Cancer fighting foods
BBQ Roasted Salmon
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 (6oz) salmon fillets
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a plastic bag. Marinate for one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Rub over fish.
4. Place in fillets in a 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 min. or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
Moroccan Quinoa Salad with Dressing
Makes 10 servings
4 cups boiling salted water
2 cups quinoa (wash well)
3 Tbsp cumin powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dried currants or raisins, soaked in warm water until soft
1 red onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
Juice of 3 lemons
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp roasted cumin seeds
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds for garnish Directions for salad:
In a large pot, add the quinoa, cumin, and garlic to the boiling water. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Put the quinoa in a bowl to cool. Drain the softened currants and toss them into the cooked, cooled quinoa along with onion and celery.
Directions for dressing:
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and salt. Whisk rapidly while slowly pouring in the olive oil. Whisk until well mixed. Toss the dressing with the salad and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes. Toss the salad again before serving and garnish with roasted seeds.
Makes 6 servings
1 tsp pureed fresh ginger root
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp seseame oil
1 Tbsp fresh lemon or orange juice
2 pounds broccoli
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Black pepper to taste Directions:
1. Whisk together ginger, soy sauce, oil and lemon or orange juice in shallow serving bowl. Set aside.
2. Trim, peel and cut the broccoli stalks diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Steam broccoli until tender-crisp.
3. Transfer broccoli to serving dish and toss with ginger sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and pepper.
Makes 2 servings
1 cup vanilla, plain, strawberry, or raspberry yogurt
3/4 cup Cheerios or another round oat cereal
1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries or raspberries
1/2 cup milk
1 - 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 banana, sliced
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Cover and blend on high speed 10 seconds.
3. Stop blender to scrape the sides.
4. Cover and blend about another 20 seconds longer or until smooth.
5. Pour mixture into glasses. Serve immediately.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
44 Binney Street
Boston, MA 02115
(Copyright (c) 2009 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)