The Dish Archive: Pork Hash
< div class="recipe" >
For the Filling: (can be made the day ahead)
-- 1 ea.......Boneless Pork Butt
-- 2 ea.......Oranges, sliced
-- 6 ea.......Garlic Cloves, peeled
-- 3 qts.......Pure Olive Oil
-- 1 T.......Peppercorns
-- 6 ea.......Thyme Sprigs
-- AN.......Kosher Salt
-- 3 ea.......Spanish Onions, Julienned
-- 3 cups.......heavy cream
-Rub pork butt with a generous amount of salt and refrigerate overnight
-Place pork butt in an oven proof casserole pan add oranges, garlic, peppercorn & Thyme. Add oil, cover with aluminum foil and cook in a 300 degree oven until tender. Approximately six hours.
-Remove pork from oil and let cool to room temperature.
-Caramelize onions on a medium low flame. While onions are cooking shred pork.
-Add shredded pork to caramelized onions, add cream and simmer for 10-15 minutes until mixture is thick. Beat mixture in a kitchen aid with paddle attachment until smooth. Season to taste with Salt.
-Cool Mixture until ready to use.
For the Rosti Cake:
-- 4 ea.......Large Idaho Potatoes, Peeled and shredded on box grater and seasoned with Salt
-- 1 ea.......Whole egg
-- 2 ea.......egg yolks
-- 1 ea.......Stick of Butter
- Heat an eight inch cast iron pan over medium heat.
- While pan is heating mix egg into the potatoes, place half a stick of butter in the pan
- Add half of the potato mixture then a half inch layer of confit pork filling, followed by the other half of the potatoes.
- Cook over medium heat for eight to ten minutes until crispy, slide potato cake onto a plate being careful not to break it.
- Melt the other half of the butter in the pan and flip the rosti uncooked side down and place into a 400 degree oven for fifteen to twenty minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes
- Slice into wedges and serve with fried eggs, cheddar cheese and hollandaise sauce
(Copyright (c) 2011 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
< /div >