The Dish Archive: Ghost Cupcakes
On the Web
It's Halloween, and that means time for some tricks and treats! And we have a sweet treat the kids are sure to love.
The Dish: Ghost Cupcakes
The Bakery: Cakes for Occassions
The Chef: Kelly Delaney
Ghost Cupcakes- 1 dozen
--1 dozen Vanilla or Chocolate Cupcakes (any recipe will do)
--1 pint Buttercream Frosting (store bought frosting will work too)
--1 pound Rolled Fondant (available at most craft stores- sold by the pound)
--6 ounces Melted Chocolate
--¼ cup Confectioners' Sugar
--Silicone Rolling Pin (a regular rolling pin will work as well, just be sure it is well dusted with confectioners' sugar
--Large 5" or 6" round cutter
--Triangle Parchment Paper
• Using a pastry bag, with coupling, fill pastry bag ½ way with Buttercream. Pipe "body" of ghost in center of cupcake, no higher than 3" tall. Refrigerate cupcake/bodies for 30 mins. or longer until chilled.
• Sprinkle ¼ cup of confectioners' sugar on work surface and spread out with hand, the whole area where you intend to roll out fondant.
• Kneed the fondant, with bare hands, to help 'soften' the fondant. (the heat from your hands will help make the fondant pliable.)
• Roll out fondant, as thin as possible.( The thinner you are able to roll out the fondant, the easier it will be to place on the body of the cupcake.)
• Using your large cutter, cut as many rounds as possible from each roll.
• Melt your chocolate, over a ban Marie, on med/low heat- be careful not to burn the chocolate. Once chocolate is melted, turn your temperature to the water bath to low.
• Remove your cupcakes from the refrigerator and pick up one round of fondant at a time and place on top of the body, making sure the center of the round goes on top to the 'head' of the body. Crimp your fingers and seal the fondant over the body to make the 'sheet' of the ghost.
• Take your melted chocolate and put some inside your triangle parchment paper (you can use an additional pastry bag if you do not have the triangle parchment)
• Cut a small hole in the tip of the bag and pipe out 2 eyes and a 'howling' mouth.
• Serve & enjoy to children & adults alike