The Dish: MOOO -- Wellfleet Oyster Stew
The Dish Archive: The Dish: MOOO -- Wellfleet Oyster Stew
The Chef: David Hutton
INGREDIENTS – (Four servings)
- 36 each Wellfleet Oysters scrubbed well with cold water
- 1 each Large Leek, washed and diced small
- 6 ounces small diced apple wood smoked bacon
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 12 ounces aged sherry wine
- 4 tsp unsalted Vermont butter
- 4 ounces cubed white bread, tossed in olive oil, toasted in oven @ 300 degrees until golden brown
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, cracked black pepper, 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Open Oysters carefully, being careful not to puncture the delicate meat inside the shell
- Save all the liquid from inside the oyster shell and set aside with the meat
- In a sauce pan heat up a bit of olive oil medium low heat and add the leeks and bacon
- Sauté stirring frequently until the leeks are soft and the bacon is a bit crispy.
- Add the Sherry and allow it to simmer for 4 or five minutes until it reduces by two thirds.
- Add the heavy cream, bring to a simmer. Add Oysters and Oyster Liquid, bring to simmer, season with salt, pepper, thyme. Ladle into four soup crocks, top with a little spoon of butter, croutons and sprinkle a little smoked paprika.
- Serve and Enjoy!
15 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
(Copyright (c) 2008 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)