NKOTB’s Wahlberg speaks about marathon concert
BOSTON (WHDH) -- The New Kids on the Block are banding together to support the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.
The group will join the star-studded line-up for a benefit concert.
7News spoke with Donnie Wahlberg about it Friday, and about the frightening close call his friend and band mate had on Marathon Monday.
When the explosions rocked the marathon, New Kids on the Block star Donnie Walhberg was on set in New York.
“I heard there was an explosion from one of the crew members and like everyone else, I thought it was a sewer or something -- could have been a pipe burst or something. Slowly the crew members kept coming up and saying you better step away from the scene and come take a look at what’s happening in Boston,” said Wahlberg.
His mind quickly turned to his band mate and good friend Joey McIntyre who was running the marathon.
“I immediately thought about Joe McIntyre and said, ‘Oh my gosh, he should be finishing around the time this happened,’ and I immediately went on a hunt to make sure he was okay and I couldn’t get in touch with him. Finally I went on Twitter and fans had already been checking in. And he tweeted that he was okay. So that was the first thing because that was the one person I knew was definitely going to be down there,” said Wahlberg.
His tweet from that day read, "There was an explosion by the finish line about 5 minutes after I finished. I'm okay but I’m sure there are many hurt."
Now New Kids on the Block is teaming up with a long list of other groups for a benefit concert at the Garden on May 30.
“We all feel compelled to do what we can we all feel to fight back to step up. And as artists this is our way to do it,” Wahlberg said.
Hometown boys Aerosmith are flying all the way back from Singapore just to be a part of this concert that will not only raise money, but lift the spirits of Bostonians