Italian paper calls Boston cardinal a top contender
BOSTON (WHDH) -- An Italian newspaper is claiming that Boston Cardinal Sean O’Malley is a top contender to replace the pope, a notion that is generating excitement in the city.
O’Malley was rated a top choice by a 2:1 margin in the paper’s online poll.
"The fact that the cardinals have decided to go into the conclave early means that I think they're getting kind of a consensus about who they might want,” said Rev. Thomas Reese, National Catholic Reporter.
Meanwhile, Vatican watchers wonder if the cardinals have already narrowed down their choices.
Stateside, people consider the idea that a Boston cardinal could be among those choices.
“It's exciting to think someone from the states in general could be so high up,” said a Boston resident.
“I think that it would be interesting. I know that he’s done a lot of good work in the area. He’s known for handling the case with the kids pretty well, handling that situation, cleaning up. So good for him if he gets it,” said another resident.
Conclaves, in the recent past, have lasted no more than five days. But some believe the scandals of the past few years may cause the cardinals to take their time.
"I think that it's crucial having all the information about what happened in the Vatican over in last year so that everybody is free and conscious to vote for the right person,” said Massimo Franco, Author and Vatican Journalist.
There is no telling how long it will take to choose the next pope, but if the vote is deadlocked on Friday, the cardinals will take the day off on Saturday and resume voting on Sunday.