1 dead, 2 ill after apparent overdose at Zedd concert
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Tuesday night, the House of Blues was packed for a sold-out show featuring Zedd, a popular electro-house German DJ. At the show, police said 19-year-old Brittany Flannigan from Derry, N.H. died of an apparent overdose and two others were taken to the hospital.
"She was lying there motionless. One my friends noticed she had cuts on her legs too so it looked like she may have been on the ground for awhile," said Ryan Kelley who attended the Zedd concert.
Police say Flannigan and two other people apparently overdosed but aren't saying what they ingested. They were not at the show together.
Crews packed up and cancelled Wednesday night’s show.
Zedd tweeted out to his followers regarding the concert's cancellation:
Out of respect to the families and friends involved in last night's tragic loss, the show in Boston tonight is canceled.— Zedd (@Zedd) August 28, 2013
Love and respect to those in pain right now. Our hearts go out to you.— Zedd (@Zedd) August 28, 2013
PLEASE, everyone... BE RESPONSIBLE!— Zedd (@Zedd) August 28, 2013
As police continue the investigation, the House of Blues owners now face a possible hearing with the licensing board.
7News obtained the nightclub's file. Since getting their license in March 2011, the House of Blues has had:
- 8 hearings
- 4 no violations found
- 3 one-day suspensions
- 1 warning issued
None of those inquiries involved drugs, but now some people are concerned that this type of music may be promoting drug use. However, fans say that's not true.
"His music doesn't make me want to do it at all. It makes me want to jump and have fun,” Melanie Aubrey said.
"I've come, I've never done that stuff before and I've had just as good of a time,” said Nick Petisce.
"It changes it for me. It's weird for me to think about that someone died there," Kelley said.