Police believe NH teen may have overdosed on 'Molly'
BOSTON (WHDH) -- The House of Blues reopened Thursday night following the death of 19-year-old Brittany Flannigan and hospitalization of two others, after they overdosed on an unknown substance. All three people attended a sold-out show on Tuesday night featuring Zedd, a popular German DJ, but were not at the concert together.
Boston Police say that a dangerous dose of a designer drug may have been taken inside the popular nightclub and now bouncers are being extra cautious about who gets in.
There’s concern that Flannigan may have used the party drug “Molly,” which police say they've seen a huge emergence of in the Boston nightclub scene.
“When I look at ages of the individuals when this comes up, I believe a lot of it is related to their inexperience, their misinformation and the fact that they’re not quite sure what they're getting,” said Lt. Dect. Robert Merner, Boston Police Department.
News of Flannigan’s death has sent shock waves through Pinkerton Academy where she graduated last year.
“She was such a great kid,” said Joe Dion, Flannigan's former teacher.
“Sad, very sad. It’s not something that I would expect Brittany to be associated with,” said Jen Brown, Flannigan's former teacher.
According to court documents, the House of Blues has been called before the city licensing commission 8 times since 2011. Four hearings led to no violations, four others included three one-day suspensions and one warning.
Police don’t know if kids are taking the party drugs before or after they head into a club, so they'll be stepping up enforcement as a precaution.
“Officers assigned to my unit will be taking proactive steps in any of these clubs,” said Merner.
Police say this party drug has become so popular with younger crowds because it is rather inexpensive and there is a misconception that you cannot be addicted to it.