BU warns students about the dangers of 'molly'
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Investigators are blaming a club drug for a series of overdoses and deaths at music concerts up and down the east coast.
The drug is known as "molly" and it is a powdered form of ecstasy. It's getting so popular one local college sent out a warning to their students.
“It definitely is scary, it's terrible that this is happening,” Boston University student Victoria Czaplicka said.
Boston University warned the thousands of students returning to campus about the effects of the drug; which include heart problems, seizures and in rare cases death.
“I know of it being used, not here, not really in our community,” Czaplicka said.
“I never saw it or had many friends who did it. People talk about it here and there you know,” Peter Gilmore, a graduate of BU, said.
Massachusetts State Police seized 16 grams of "molly" over the weekend in Brockton and last week the House of Blues in Boston was shut down for one night after a 19-year-old from New Hampshire resident overdosed according to police.
“It's dangerous, you know. People want to have fun but you know you don't always think of the consequences,” Gilmore said.
On Saturday two men in their twenties overdosed on the drug at a concert at the Bank of America pavilion, according to police.
Also, police say the “Electric Zoo” music festival in New York was shut down after two people died while on the drug.
One of the deaths was a 20-year-old University of New Hampshire student from Providence, R.I.