Boston Police cracking down on popular drug 'molly'
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Several local police departments cracking down on a dangerous drug after a girl died of an overdose at a popular Boston club.
A college student died during a show at the House of Blues and it's believed she took the drug known as molly.
Tonight the club says they did everything they could to prevent the tragedy.
On Wednesday club employees were asked to explain how three people overdosed on drugs there, including 19-year-old Brittany Flannigan who died.
"I spoke to her briefly. She was completely unresponsive and convulsing on the floor,” Liz Steel, a security guard at House of Blues, said.
Police think Flannigan and the two others ingested the club drug molly, a potent form of ecstasy, but club operators say even with all the security screenings they do the drug is not something that’s easily detectable.
"These are, in many instances, tiny pills. I mean, literally no bigger than a tiny Aspirin tablet, which are not very easy to find,” House of Blues attorney Dennis Quilty said.
Just days after the incident at the house of blues, police say two men overdosed on what might have been LSD, another club drug, at the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston. The same weekend, a University of New Hampshire student and another man died at a new york city music festival after apparently taking molly.
Quincy police say they've unleashed a molly crackdown on the popular marina bay nightclub where they've seen a dozen overdoses and made a dozen arrests, some using this new high tech device that allows them to identify the drugs they find an the spot.
"Everyone's sort of playing the blame game here on who’s responsible but ultimately it’s the choice that the kids make,” William Evans, Superintendent of the Boston Police Department, said.