2 EMTs save 14 from fire in Mattapan
MATTAPAN, Mass. -- Two workers are being hailed heroes after saving 14 people from a burning Mattapan building.
The call came in early Saturday morning, but rescue workers were given the wrong address.
That's when EMS Lt. Dennis O'Keefe and EMT Robert Sterns happened to see the smoke in the distance.
When they got to the home, they were the first ones on the scene.
Instead of waiting, the two ran inside the building.
“It's not the kind of thing I would do or consider doing everyday it's not my job but you know hey you do what you got to do...We did what we did. We drove down the street we saw the smoke and we reacted to it,” said O’Keefe.
No was was hurt.
Fire officials say an improperly disposed cigarette caused the fire.
(Copyright (c) 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)