Officials promise to find Mattapan shooting suspects
BOSTON -- Officials said the shooting deaths of four people, including a 2-year-old boy, in Mattapan on Tuesday do not appear to be random acts.
“Police will do their job. They will enforce. We know who you are. Cowards kill. Cowards use guns to settle their scores. Cowards hide,” said Boston Mayor Tom Menino.
Speaking to the media late on Tuesday morning, city officials said it’s too early in the investigation to discuss a motive and that there are no suspects.
When police arrived at the scene of the crime, they found five people shot, including a toddler. Four of those people are now dead, while the fifth, an adult male, is not expected to survive.
--> People with information in this case are urged to call Boston Police at 1-617-343-4470 or anonymously at 1-800-494-TIPS.
“Each and every investigator that was there with me this morning from 1:30 on shares the mayor’s outrage over this incident, and we are doubly committed to making sure this case is closed and closed quickly,” said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
Officials said one of the victims was lying naked in the middle of the street, but it was not immediately clear if the person had been pulled out of bed.
Police officials called it an unspeakable act of violence.
“There can be no justification for what happened on Wilson Street this morning. There can be no excuse for aiding the person or persons responsible for this horrific crime and for taking the life of this helpless child, among others,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley.
One key piece of evidence that investigators are looking for is a silver or gray Ford Explorer that was seen leaving the scene of the crime.
(Copyright (c) 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)