BU hockey player pleads not guilty to rape
BOSTON (WHDH) -- A Boston University hockey player accused of raping a female student pleaded not guilty on Tuesday.
Max Nicastro of Thousand Oaks, Calif. was arraigned in Brighton District Court after authorities say the junior defenseman and 2008 Detroit Red Wings draft pick sexually assaulted another student Sunday morning.
“She was upset and tearful and indicated to officers that shortly prior to them being notified she had been raped on campus by an individual named Max Nicastro,” said prosecutor Gloriann Moroney.
His lawyer said no crime was committed.
“My client, under the circumstances, is doing remarkably well,” said defense attorney Hugh Curran. “We believe in our client and his innocence.”
Nicastro is the second BU hockey player accused of sexual assault this season. Corey Trivino -- the Terriers’ leading scorer -- was arrested on charges that he allegedly groped a woman in her dorm last December. Trivino was kicked off of the hockey team. Nicasto was suspended from the program until his case is resolved.
Coach Jack Parker says he's troubled by the allegations but doesn't think the accused players reflect the culture of the program.
He says players are warned about the dangers of alcohol abuse and sexual harassment every season.
“What two players have done shouldn’t represent the whole school or the whole hockey team and what they stand for,” said John Ryan, a student at BU.
Nicastro posted the $10,000 cash bail, but has been ordered to have no contact with the woman in this case. Nicastro is due back in court on March 26.
Boston University confirmed on Tuesday that Nicastro is no longer enrolled with the university.
(Copyright (c) 2012 Sunbeam Television. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)