Cable worker rescues woman from burning home
BOSTON (WHDH) -- A cable company employee rescued a woman from her burning home Thursday.
The man was on a service call at the house next door and happened to go outside when he saw black smoke pouring out of the front windows of the home next door at 195 Norfolk Street.
"Just as I came out, the windows busted. I've never seen anything like it in my life,” said Dawn Dingee, the woman who was rescued.
Dingee was in bed on the second floor because she works nights.
According to Dingee, if it weren’t for the cable worker, she never would have made it out alive.
"I have no idea, all I heard was the smash of a window and that's it. Before I knew it, the cable guy is the one that saved me. He's the one that woke me up and was like, ‘You got a fire,’ kicking my door. If it wasn't for him, I’m really grateful," Dingee said.
The worker says he's not a hero, and that anyone in the neighborhood would have done the same thing.
"She heard us yelling, ‘Fire!’ If that's saving her life, then yeah, I guess. That's the best we could do," said Henry Gallagher, cable company employee.
Francine Amentola lives on the first floor of the two-story house. She and her husband, as well as a roommate, have to find a new place to call home.
"Everything I own, everything that's important to me is in there," Amentola said.
There was word someone started the fire by throwing something through the front window.
A spokesperson for the Boston Fire Department says there is no proof of that. They told 7News the fire started on the first floor and they continue to investigate.