Pup's paw gets stuck in T stop escalator
BOSTON (WHDH) -- A dog is recovering after its paw got stuck in an escalator at a local T stop.
The pup is okay thanks to a team of dedicated veterinarians. But his owner has a warning for other people with pets.
It was a painful lesson for a dog and its owner. The dog's paw got trapped in an escalator here at the Forrest Hills T Station when the dog's owner says she made a big mistake skipping the stairs.
After a run in with an escalator, Mace has his bark back. But it'll be six weeks before the 9-month-old Shih Tzu mix is completely on his feet.
“I didn't know what exactly had happened until I seen all the blood gushing out of his legs,” said Tonecia Johnson.
Tonecia Johnson was leaving the Forrest hills T stop on Sunday when she says her pup's paw got stuck at the top of an escalator. She says Mace was chasing her niece when his leg got trapped and she had to pull him out.
“I was in shock and I just sat there and then I just started panicking,” Johnson said.
Johnson rushed the dog to an animal hospital where vets amputated two toes.
“I have to treat him like a baby with a cast,” Johnson said.
Doctor's decided to move the pad on Mace's paw to help him walk once he's recovered. Tonecia says she hopes her pup's painful lesson will warn other pet owners to stay away from escalators.
“Do not go near escalators with a dog. Walk up the stairs or pick them up -- just no escalators. ‘Cause they don’t understand that they’ll get hurt,” Johnson said.
The dog was in Angell Animal Medical Center for three days. Vets there say they treat accidents like the one on the escalator here two or three times a year.