Man heads home after hand transplant
BOSTON (WHDH) -- A Massachusetts man is on the road to recovery after receiving Massachusetts General Hospital’s first hand transplant earlier in October.
Joe Kinan, 43, was among hundreds seriously injured in the Station club fire in West Warwick when stage pyrotechnics ignited sound insulation foam. He was severely burned and lost his left hand. Kinan spent nearly a year in the hospital following the fire. He has since endured more than 120 surgeries for severe burns and other injuries.
He received the first ever hand transplant at Massachusetts General Hospital, showing operations that were once limited to our imagination are now a reality for more and more people.
Kinan went home Friday after the groundbreaking surgery.