Several treated for possible CO poisoning
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Several people were treated for possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning at a home at 14 Woolson Street in Mattapan.
Fire officials say six residents and one worker were transported to area hospitals by Boston EMS to get checked out for possible Carbon Monoxide exposure.
Aisha Bailey was one of the seven people taken to the hospital after a possible Carbon Monoxide leak at a Mattapan triple-decker. The youngest victims were a 2-year-old and 4-year-old.
“I opened up the door and… told me I need to get checked. They checked me, and put me right in the ambulance. I felt nauseous and I did throw up,” Bailey said.
Emergency responders were first called to the home when a woman was found unconscious. Phil Squires found his friend, a 57-year-old diabetic, and called 911.
“I couldn’t wake her up, that was my concern. She’s in the hospital,” said Squires.
Crews were called back to the home minutes later after a worker repairing the furnace in the basement started feeling sick.
“We did find some problems with the furnace, part of the duct work that enters the chimney was separated and it appears that’s where the Carbon Monoxide was leaking out of the heating system,” said Steve MacDonald, Boston Fire Department.
Crews used a device to test everyone inside the home for Carbon Monoxide. The levels never got too high.
No one was seriously injured.