30 treated after carbon monoxide leak at Boston spa
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Fire officials treated 30 people on scene for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after a problem at a spa in the Back Bay Saturday.
A customer at the Exhale Spa called 9-1-1 after beginning to feel sick.
Kim Cantu walked into work Saturday to find a scene of mayhem.
“I seen a lot of firefighters, I seen ambulance. Everything was just going crazy. People was getting sick, people was crying. A lot of stuff was happening and I wasn’t sure what was going on,” said Cantu.
Firefighters were called to the popular spa just after 2 p.m. Nearly 30 people had to be checked by EMT’s due to possible exposure.
“We have a total of eight have been transported both to New England Medical Center and Mass General Hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Chief Dennis Keeley, Boston Fire Department.
“I had a headache, yeah. I felt it when I came in when I went downstairs ‘cause it all happened downstairs,” said Cantu.
That’s where investigators are looking to find the source of the leak, which they believe may be from the hot water heaters or gas-dryers.
“The readings in the basement were extremely high and at this point in time, we’ve closed the business,” said Chief Keeley.
Crews worked to ventilate the downtown business quickly. There's no word on how much business was lost as a result of this carbon monoxide scare, though a part of the spa remained open for the rest of the night.
The fire department said the carbon monoxide levels are currently down. Businesses are not required by law to have carbon monoxide detectors.