Man dies in Fitchburg after apparent electrocution
FITCHBURG, Mass. -- A workplace accident a 52-year-old man dead in Fitchburg Saturday.
Fire officials said Kevin Bell was apparently electrocuted.
Fitchburg Fire Deputy Chief Robert Haley said a coworker found Bell on the ground after the incident.
"[He] didn't see him fall, but saw him on the ground. He went over and removed the wires from his hand. He then went over and shut the power off from the unit and then he dialed 911," said Haley.
Paramedics could not save Bell. He is said to be married, from New Hampshire and co-owner of Creative BioMass, a company that turns sawdust into wood pellets. Bell and the company's president Shawn Pieterse, took over last year.
"There's been an accident. It's under investigation. Kevin was a great guy. Our hearts are reeling," Pieterse told 7News.
Several flash fires at the plant prompted the fire department to reprimand the company. BioMass was ordered to to clean up excess sawdust, which is highly explosive.
Haley believes Bell was in the process of obeying those orders.
"He was rewiring the motor for the dust collection unit. The only problem was, he wasn't a licensed electrician so he shouldn't have been doing that. He should have had a licensed electrician taking care of that," Haley said.
OSHA, the State Police and the Fire Department are investigating the accident. An autopsy will determine if electrocution was the cause of death.
(Copyright (c) 2010 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)