Worker dies after being shocked while trimming trees
HOLLISTON, Mass. (WHDH) -- A landscaper in a bucket truck was killed after an electric shock and fire after he hit a power line while trimming trees in Holliston Tuesday.
Police said a 26-year-old man, who worked for a landscaping company in Holliston, was about 20 feet up cutting tree limbs when his metal chainsaw apparently touched a power line. He was on fire trapped inside the tree-cutter bucket.
For several seconds the man was paralyzed with high voltage running through him while a coworker used a truck to knock the burning man free. A fire fighter, who consulted an instruction manual, got the burning man to the ground. The victim was then airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he later died.
“You could see that the box that he was in was on fire. It wasn’t a little fire. It was fire, fire,” said Phil Minervino, who witnessed the ordeal.
“Still in the bucket, flames and sparks coming from the bucket. From the ground it appeared that he was on fire,” said Chief John Moore of the Holliston Police Department.
Witnesses who called 911 described the horrible scene.
Caller: “Hello. There’s some woodcutters here and one of them’s screaming wildly. Somebody’s really hurt…screaming ‘Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.”
Caller: “There’s a man across the street that’s working. He’s up in a bucket and the bucket is on fire…and you need to send somebody right now.”
A spokesperson for the landscaping company said they are devastated. They said the victim was an incredible worker and their thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
The victim’s name has not been released and federal safety inspectors are still investigating.