Woman credits cat for saving her from house fire
SOMERVILLE, Mass. (WHDH) -- A woman, who investigators say fell asleep with a candle burning, credits a cat for saving her life when an apartment building went up in flames.
The woman says she was able to get out alive because her cat woke her up, alerting her to the fire.
The massive fire destroyed the Somerville home. Investigators say the fire started on the third floor.
"She came down, she was saying, ‘oh my God help me help me help me,’ all that stuff so,” said Derek Nunes, a neighbor.
It happened around 2:30 Monday morning on Sycamore Street in Somerville.
"That window on the right, came out first, just kept going the whole apartment after that,” Nunes said.
Everyone in the building was able to get out safely, including the woman who lived on the top floor.
"If the cat hadn't woken her up, she would have probably not woken up, the fire had consumed the whole third floor…it was a total loss, all three rooms gone,” said Deputy Chief Jim Lucia, Somerville Fire Department.
"She woke up and everything was on fire…she was all black…so I think she tried to put it out herself so,” said Nunes.
The building has five units. The floors below suffered water damage.
"It was just a lot of mayhem over here, but as long as everyone got out safe…so,” said Stephen Alexis, a witness.
Investigators say a candle sparked the fire.
"She was groggy, she had taken some medication to help her sleep, then she said, ‘maybe I fell asleep with a cigarette,’ but then later on in the day she realized it had to be the candle,” said Deputy Chief Lucia.
Emergency workers took the woman from the top floor to the hospital for smoke inhalation. 7News was told she is staying with a friend. Her cat was also rescued.