Overnight fire forces families out into cold in Saugus
SAUGUS, Mass. (WHDH) -- Fierce flames ripped through a triple-decker building on Taylor Street in Saugus.
People were asleep in their home Tuesday night when the fire started. By the time firefighters got to the building, the flames were coming out everywhere. Fortunately, the four adults and child that were inside were not injured.
The people inside the building said the situation changed from a little bit of smoke to a lot of flames very quickly.
“All of the sudden we turned around and said ‘We’re going to be okay. We’re not going to lose anything,’” said Tom Tringali, who watched his home burn. “Next thing you know the whole attic just went up in complete flames.”
The residents alerted a neighbor to the danger.
“The dog started barking and it kind of woke us up. The firemen and our neighbor who lived in the house started banging on our front door,” said Bill Jones, an evacuated neighbor.
Originally firefighters were fighting the fire from inside the building but were forced out due to fears that the floors would collapse.
“Part of the roof is gone. It’s a dangerous house at this particular moment,” said Chief John McQuaid of the Saugus fire department.