Lahey Clinic's ER back open after oxygen scare
PEABODY, Mass. (WHDH) -- Several patients at the Lahey Clinic in Peabody were evacuated Sunday night because of an oxygen scare.
Six patients were evacuated around 8 p.m. There were only about 20 people inside the clinic at the time.
“It could cause a problem with causing a fire inside the hospital also if it comes out as a liquid it could cause a serious frost bite or burn,” said Dep. Chief Paul Hinchin of the Peabody Fire Department.
The patients were taken to a Burlington hospital. They didn’t have any symptoms of oxygen poisoning.
The concern was that the gas was leaking inside the hospital so they had to evacuate everyone in a 100-yard radius.
The emergency room is now back open.