Andover HS postpones proposal
ANDOVER, Mass. (WHDH) -- The Andover School Committee voted Friday morning to postpone a proposal, banning freshmen from joining varsity teams.
Pending further discussion in the fall, freshman will be able to take the field at Andover high along with upper classmen. The suggested ban came after a controversial hazing incident last year.
“It’s fair to say it is also in part a reaction to the hazing incident we had in the fall,” said one committee member.
Last fall Andover High School made headlines for reports that two young members of the Andover basketball team, had been forced into a humiliating sex game during an overnight stay at Stonehill College for a team training camp.
Most parents at the meeting were not worried about a repeat.
“I think, the hazing incident that happened in Andover, didn't happen in Andover. It happened in the summer camp. And on a college campus p. Run by, you know a basketball company,” said one parent.
Coaches talked about the importance of upper classmen mentoring freshmen on how to navigate the halls and field.
“You do not want to deny freshmen the chance, who are exceptional athletes, the opportunity to build up a cache to help them get into college, and just be better at their skills.”
Under the ban freshmen would have been able to play for varsity teams if there was no JV team.