Baby burned in washing machine expected to survive
MANCHESTER, N.H. (WHDH) -- A 5-month-old baby boy who suffered severe burns Tuesday night after he fell into a washing machine in Manchester, N.H. is expected survive.
Police said the boy’s father was changing his diaper on a shelf next to a typical top-loader washing machine. Police said the father turned around to get clothes to put into the washing machine and during that moment the baby fell in feet first.
The washing machine was about two-thirds full and was an older model. Newer models stop filling with water when the lid is open. That was not the case with the washing machine in question.
“With the laundry going, the water and the baby was very slippery and trying to get the baby out, it took a couple of seconds,” said Sgt. Craig Russo of the Manchester, N.H. police department. “But it takes only maybe two seconds to get burns from water that hot.”
The boy suffered burns on 90 percent of his body. From the severity of the boy’s injuries authorities estimate the temperature of the water was about 150 degrees.
“You usually don’t see a father so involved and a mother so involved. They’re every day outside playing with their kids,” said Eric Padsadowski, a neighbor. “He was one of the most proudest fathers I have ever seen.”
Police said the father is 37 years old and the boy is not his only child. He has a 1.5-year-old as well.
The baby was treated at Boston Children’s Hospital Tuesday night before being transferred to Shriner’s Hospital for Children on Wednesday.
Police said the child will survive after suffering life-threatening burns.