Hampton Beach motel goes up in flames
HAMPTON, N.H. (WHDH) -- Quick-moving flames forced people out of a Hampton Beach motel Tuesday morning.
“As soon as I got up, I open slider door and curtain and I see smoke coming up,” said John Accettullo, motel guest.
It was a scary scene at a Hampton Beach motel as guests woke up to fire taking over the building.
“Smoke was coming right into my room. I didn't know what to grab first,” Accettullo said.
Kenneth Nitz was at a nearby hotel and saw the fire. He knew he had to act fast.
“I looked out my back window, I saw everyone running out and everyone just started scattering all over. And then like two minutes later we started seeing the smoke pouring out of that window. Then we started seeing black smoke coming out of these air conditioning units,” said Nitz. “The receptionist at our hotel, I told her to start calling fire department.”
Flames tore through the second floor. Fire officials say smoke and water damaged the rest of the building.
“I’ve seen it before but nothing this close. I never thought that it could do that much damage to that,” Nitz said.
Nitz’s father is proud of his son, and now Nitz is returning home a hero.
“I feel really proud of myself for doing that,” Nitz said.
Fire officials say an unattended candle on the second floor may have started the fire. It is not clear when the building will re-open.