Mass. man charged after pitbull heroin overdose
GLOUCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- Police have charged a Massachusetts man with animal cruelty after his pitbull apparently died from a heroin overdose and was found sliced open.
John "Jack" Dugan was arrested Wednesday after his pitbull, Xena, was found completely disemboweled. Her entrails were found in a duffle bag in a Dumpster.
The Gloucester Times and WFXT-TV reported that the dog apparently swallowed unpackaged heroin Dugan said he had left on a counter in his home, as well as a sealed bag of heroin. Police said they believe Dugan cut the pitbull open to retrieve the sealed bag.
Police say Dugan told them the dog ate the heroin, but claimed he had to gut her because she became bloated and he needed to fit her into the bag. A message seeking comment was left with his attorney. He's being held on $20,000 bail.