Early morning fire tears through two-family home
MANCHESTER, N.H. (WHDH) -- Two families were woken up by flames billowing through their home in Manchester, New Hampshire Monday morning.
“Daddy woke me. He saved my life,” said Jaden Ogden.
Craig Ogden and his family live on the first floor of the house. Another couple lives on the second. All five are now displaced after a fire broke out early Monday morning.
At one point, flames were so strong, firefighters had to evacuate. Its’ a hard hit on Christmas Eve.
“I don't have anything. Everything I lost. All the presents are gone,” said Ogden.
Ogden said he was the first to hear the smoke detector go off and started running around the house to wake everyone and save pets that were inside.
“As soon as I kicked that door open, the smoke just started billowing and billowing,” said Ogden. “Before you know it, I couldn't see this far in front of my face," said Ogden.
Firefighters said the cause appears to be an overloaded circuit.
“It was one of those power strips that had been running under some furniture. It actually burnt a hole through the first floor living room and landed in the basement,” said Chief Jim Michael, Manchester, N.H. Police Department.
Crews battled the flames for two hours. They said it will be a while before the families can move back inside.
“My upstairs neighbors lost everything. I lost everything. But what's more important is my son is safe,” said Craig Ogden.
The damage is estimated to cost $100,000.