Faulty smoke detectors may have played role in fire
GLOUCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- Fire officials say it does not appear there were working smoke detectors in the Gloucester home that burned down over the weekend, claiming the life of a resident.
Chief Eric Smith says smoke detectors may have been inactive or faulty, since the department received no notice of the two-alarm fire until a neighbor called to report it at 11 p.m. Saturday.
He says by the time firefighters arrived, the home was 85 percent engulfed and the resident appears to have been trapped.
The victim's name has not been released pending an autopsy.
Neighbors say a woman lived alone in the home with two dogs.
The state Fire Marshal's office says there have been seven fatal fires in the state already this year. There were 37 all of last year.