Family speaks out about $63 million lawsuit
PLYMOUTH, Mass. (WHDH) --The parents of a Plymouth girl spoke out Friday about their landmark lawsuit with Johnson & Johnson.
They were awarded $63 million after their daughter’s severe reaction to a dose of children's Motrin. They say the company did not do enough to warn consumers about potential health risks.
“She was silent when I said, ‘We won,’ and I put my arms around her…I think she was in shock,” said Lisa Reckis, Samantha Reckis’ mother.
Lisa Reckis spoke about the moment she told her daughter she won a $63 million lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson.
“To get through these 10 years, and to get a judgment was the biggest victory for me personally because it finally said they were wrong,” said Rick Reckis, Samantha’s father.
Samantha was just seven when she suffered a severe reaction to children's Motrin. She spent six months in the hospital, went blind, suffered burns over 90 percent of her body, and major organ damage.
Samantha’s reaction is extremely rare, affecting just one in every million people.
Still, the jury agreed the maker had an obligation to put that warning on the label.
“A company has an obligation to not just warn about the more common, less severe conditions, but the less common more serious conditions,” said Brad Henry, family attorney.
The family says the money does not compensate for the pain their daughter has endured.
“We’re not going to be around forever and we want to make sure she doesn’t have anything to worry about no matter what,” said Rick Reckis.