Neighbors looking for answers after Hyde Park explosion
HYDE PARK, Mass. (WHDH) -- Authorities say a man mixing chemicals in his Boston apartment lost both of his hands and eight people were rushed to the hospital, when the chemicals exploded and caused a fire that was quickly extinguished.
Residents getting ready for work Friday morning were forced to evacuate the building following the explosion, which happened around 9 a.m.
“A broken window in the basement floor, the window was blown out. There was one man in the apartment who was severely injured. He lost one hand maybe two,” said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
His roommate was also hospitalized with respiratory issues and several others were treated at the scene.
The bomb squad, FBI and ATF found a significant amount of powders and chemicals within the apartment. A source says the man who was seriously injured, may have been experimenting with fireworks.
Residents who came in contact with the smoke were decontaminated at the scene and taken to the hospital to be treated for throat irritation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.