Brothers suspected in 30 break-ins arrested
CANTON, Mass. -- Two brothers were set to be arraigned Monday morning, accused in break-ins at at least 30 Dunkin Donuts restaurants.
Police had been tracking the suspects for months. Their alleged six-month crime spree came to an end at a Canton Dunkin Donuts.
“It’s an establishment that has been subject to a few burglaries in the past,” said Officer Charles Ray of the Canton Police Department.
“Quick response time, we were in the right place at the right time and we got there shortly after the alarm went off and we caught the two burglars in the car trying to escape,” said Officer Ray.
Police say Peter and Wayne Wallace ripped off homemade masks as they fled. After a short pursuit Canton Police pulled them over and made a shocking discovery.
“We got them pulled over, looked inside the vehicle and found masks, a crowbar, screwdriver, sledgehammer, all methods that they had used in previous breaks,” said Chief Ken Berkowitz of the Canton Police Department.
Area police departments had been hunting for the thieves for months.
In addition to Canton, 21 other communities had been hit including Boston, Braintree, Quincy and Wellesley. In Wellesley, police believe they captured the men on surveillance tape.
“They pry open a drive-thru window or a door, get in quickly, take any of the start-up money or whatever money was left from the evening before,” said Chief Berkowitz.
Police were just glad to close the door on this alleged family business.
“They have a lot of breaking and entering in their past, so it is two people that the public is better off having behind bars,” said Chief Berkowitz.
Both brothers will be arraigned Monday morning for the break-in in Canton. They will likely face additional charges in the coming weeks for the other break-ins.
(Copyright (c) 2011 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)