MBTA announces extra service for St. Patrick's parade
BOSTON -- The following release was sent out on Wednesday by the MBTA:
Take The T To The St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Additional Subway & Bus Service Available
Sunday, March 18
Bus Routes Adjusted Near Parade Route
The MBTA today announced extra subway and bus service to ensure the transport of parade goers to South Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade Sunday, March 18. Extra Red Line trains will be added to the normal Sunday schedule to carry heavier than normal ridership expected to be traveling to South Boston for the parade.
Extra service on bus route #7 serving the Convention Center will run from South Station to City Point from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The trips will run from the top of the hour from City point to the bottom of the hour from South Station.
The MBTA is prepared to provide extra trains, and additional personnel to help ensure a smooth flow, especially at key Red Line locations like Broadway and Andrew Stations in South Boston. Extra MBTA Police will patrol the system throughout the day particularly during the parade to assist with crowd control and safety.
Eight MBTA bus routes are affected by the parade, including two routes halted for its duration. Passengers may want to make alternate arrangements, or travel earlier in the day if they must use these buses.
Beginning at approximately 11:30 a.m., the following bus routes will be affected until the parade is over:
· Route #9 (City Point – Copley), and the Route #11 (City Point – Downtown) will CEASE service until the parade is finished at approximately 4:30 p.m.
· Route #10 bus (City Point – Copley Sq. via Andrew Station and South End Medical Area) will run from South Bay Mall to Copley Square until the end of the parade and will not stop at Andrew Station.
· Route #16 bus (Fields Corner – JFK Station) will change its route. Inbound and outbound buses will travel their normal routes along Columbia Road, but will not travel to Andrew Station, using Columbia Road to Kusciusko Circle and JFK Station instead.
· Route #17 bus (Fields Corner – Andrew Station) will change its route. Inbound and outbound buses will travel their normal routes between Columbia Road and Fields Corner, but will not travel to Andrew Station, using Columbia Road to Kusciusko Circle and JFK Station instead.
· Route #18 bus (Ashmont Station – Andrew Station) will change its route. Inbound and outbound buses will travel their normal routes between Columbia Road and Ashmont Station, but will not travel to Andrew Station, using Columbia Road to Kusciusko Circle and JFK Station instead.
· Route #47 (Central Square – Cambridge/Broadway) will change its route. Inbound/Outbound buses will travel their regular routes from Central Square to Albany Street at East Broadway Street. Buses will not travel to Broadway Station.
** Once the parade clears Broadway, extra service will be provided on bus route #9 from Farragut Rotary to Broadway Station.
NOTE: An 11am road race will cause 30 minute delays on routes 9, 10 and 11.
· For your convenience, the parade route is listed below:
~ Parade begins at 12:45 p.m. and proceeds up West Broadway to East Broadway to P Street
~ Parade takes a right onto P Street and a right onto East Fourth Street
~ Parade then takes a left onto K Street, a right onto East Fifth Street to I St.
~ Parade takes a right onto I Street to East Fourth Street
~ Parade takes a left on East Fourth, a left onto G Street to Thomas Park, a right onto Telegraph Street, and a left onto Dorchester St. to Andrew Sq.