Conn. police officer saves choking dog
UNDATED (WHDH) -- It was a race to the rescue for a police officer in Connecticut after a dog started choking.
“I looked at the dog wondering why he was flipping over and I realized he was choking on the dog treat, maybe he thought it was food, he was swallowing it,” said Betsy Brown, the dog’s owner.
Harry wasn't breathing.
“I was terrified, I was panicked, I didn’t know what to do,” Brown said.
Brown called 911. Officer Thomas Lazure -- trained in canine first aid -- responded.
“He happened to be in the area and responded and was met by rather frantic family who had a pretty much lifeless, non breathing dog. They advised him that the dog was choking,” said Sergeant Eric Rocheleau, West Hartford CT Police Department.
Harry had a piece of rawhide lodged in his throat.
“Officer Lazure tells me he did a modified Heimlich on the dog's ribcage which seemed to jar it loose from the actual throat and brought it up into the dog’s mouth,” said Sergeant Rocheleau.
Harry started breathing immediately. A veterinarian examined and X-rayed Harry, giving him a clean bill of health.
“I am just so thrilled that Harry is alive and he's happy and there's been no damage done. I’m just thrilled,” said Brown.