Medway HS evacuated due to smell of gas
MEDWAY, Mass. (WHDH) -- The smell of gas prompted an evacuation of Medway High School on Thursday morning.
Students and teachers were moved to tennis courts outside the school as crews checked for gas leaks. Three small leaks were found and stopped. The building was then ventilated.
Students were dismissed for the day.
Authorities said the reason the leaks were found was because a computer malfunction put too much odorant in the gas lines, making the gas easier to smell.
Fire officials said the odorant is non-toxic, but the smell can make people feel nauseous. Six people were taken to the hospital after they said they were not feeling well.
The gas company said people in the town could smell the extra odorant if they turn on their gas Thursday night.
The school has been cleared for students to return on Friday.