Couple files lawsuit after backhoe accident death
SOUTHBORO, Mass. (WHDH) -- The family of a woman killed in a construction accident in Southboro last year is filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
National Grid was conducting a test drive because they thought there was a problem with a truck trailer-backhoe combination. That backhoe later fell on a car, killing a woman.
Still shaken and upset, Sharon Wang spoke Wednesday about the car accident that killed her mother -- and injured her and her two children.
“I could not reach my children but I could hear them screaming,” she said. “I could not even respond to their call for help.”
In August of 2011, Wang was driving on I-495 in Southboro when a National Grid trailer hauling a 17,000 pound backhoe was conducting the test drive amid safety concerns.
The trailer jackknifed; the backhoe rolled off and toppled onto Wang’s minivan.
Lawyers for Wang and her husband say the National Grid truck should have never been on the highway because the company knew the combination was dangerous
“National Grid knew that this set of vehicles was dangerous and subject to loss of control problems,” Wang’s attorney, Brad Henry, said. “Yet its managers proceeded to test drive this vehicle on I-495 on a busy Friday afternoon.”
Wang’s 75-year-old mother died in the accident from asphyxiation; the family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against National Grid, saying the company needs to put public safety first.
“It’s our hope, as a result of this lawsuit, that no other family will suffer the losses we have suffered,” Frank Ye said.
The couple said they had actually hoped to settle the case out of court but that they have had no communication with the company since filing.
National Grid said released a statement on Wednesday saying, "We extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Mrs. Jiang. Because this is pending litigation, we cannot comment further."
(Copyright (c) 2012 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)