Man accused of assaulting 1-month-old
NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. (WHDH) -- Matthew Johnson was arraigned in court on Tuesday, accused of assault and battery of a 1-month-old girl.
The 22-year-old was babysitting the infant with his girlfriend while the baby’s mother was in New York earlier in August. Johnson and his girlfriend have a 3-year-old child together.
Johnson said the infant’s injuries were sustained when he tripped on a toy and accidentally dropped her. But, prosecutors believe the incident was far from an accident and said the injuries are consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome.
“The baby sustained a head injury, three broken ribs, bruises on legs, back, arms and hands. The doctor did not feel all the injuries were sustained when the baby was dropped. He indicated that the subdural hematoma and the injury to the ribs could have been from the fall but that the baby had too many other bruises that could not be explained,” said prosecutor, Carla Sauvignon.
Doctors told prosecutors they can’t be certain whether or not the baby will have any permanent brain damage.
Johnson is being held on $100,000 cash bail, despite prosecutors hoping he would be held for $500,000.
Johnson is scheduled to appear in court next month.