Owners believes show dog was poisoned
UNDATED (WHDH) -- A prized pet dies unexpectedly just days after competing in the Westminster dog show.
His owner believes foul play was involved.
He was a fluffy white champion, a winning show dog; 3-year-old Cruz had a bright future. But just days after this Samoyed's big break at Westminster, Cruz was dead. And now his co-owner Lynette Blue and handler Robert Chaffin say they suspect foul play.
"I think somebody dropped some meat laced with something, or rat poison or whatever into his crate when nobody was looking,” said
Blue said Cruz's vet found symptoms similar to rat poisoning which does take time to develop. 4 days after Westminster, she said the dog began vomiting blood and was dead within hours.
Cruz's vet told the New York Times that while the dog’s symptoms were consistent with poisoning, she felt that it was unlikely that Cruz had been deliberately poisoned. Chicago veterinarian doctor Gerry Klein who was a judge at this year's dog show, agrees.
"I think it's very highly unlikely the public that was viewing the dogs the vast majority were fascinated, intrigued, I think in a really great mood,” said
The Westminster Kennel Club defended the show saying they've never had any incidents of poisoning, adding, no other animal which attended our show was reported to our show veterinarians with any incident of serious illness. As for Cruz, the club said they've investigated and no rat poisoning is used at the piers, and they point out that no autopsy was done so there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Who what and why aside, all Lynette Blue really wants is her dog back.
"Cause he was just, such a sweet loving dog. He was such an easy super boy."
Blue believes Cruz was poisoned in the building where the dogs were being groomed before the competition.
she says that the handler had a weird interaction with a stranger who became upset when she found out the dog has been debarked - in other words - the dog had had surgery to make it's bark quieter.