Rescue dog rescues owner from fire
NORTH DAKOTA -- Animal instinct helped to save a life in North Dakota. A woman’s dog smelled something wrong at their home and what that pet did next, has her owner forever grateful.
“Usually I get up, let her do her thing, then we go back and lay down again for a little while,” said Phyllis Leitheiser, the dog’s owner.
It had been a year-long routine for Leitheiser and her 5-year-old German Shepherd rescue, Sierra, who is her main companion in life.
“My kids thought I needed a dog after my husband died,” said Phyllis.
Leitheiser saved Sierra just days before she was to be put down.
“She’s a lover. That’s all she wants is love, but she does like meat and potatoes and gravy,” said Phyllis.
But recently, their usual morning habits were interrupted.
“I just felt something besides me and when I looked there she was. She was right up against my bed,” said Phyllis.
Strangely, Leitheiser’s bedroom is off-limits to Sierra and her dog always follows the rules.
“She did this four times and in between she was pacing in the kitchen,” said Phyllis.
Eventually, Sierra’s determination won. Leitheiser got up to see what the commotion was all about.
“I saw a couple of sparks come down and thought, can I have a chimney fire? So I went out to look and knew I had a chimney fire,” said Phyllis.
With Sierra’s elevated senses the pair escaped in the nick of time.
“I’m sure she could smell it or hear it,” said Phyllis.
Thankfully everyone was okay and the damage to Leitheiser’s home could have been worse.
“We’ve got a mess in there. The ceilings have to come down and be redone and the floor in the kitchen,” said Phyllis.
Phyllis is relieved she is alive and has her dog to thank for that.
(Copyright (c) 2012 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)