Boy saves friend's life with Heimlich maneuver
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- A quick-thinking kindergarten student is being credited with saving his friend's life when the boy started choking at lunch.
Jasiah doesn't even know how to pronounce Heimlich maneuver but he knows how to do it -- he says he learned it by watching the Disney Channel.
At West Avenue Elementary, Nicholas Carvajal got a snack stuck in his throat.
"A big Cheetoh,” Jasiah confirms. “He was choking on a big Cheetoh."
According to a cafeteria monitor, Nicholas was turning red and grasping for his throat -- but by the time she reached him, Jasiah had already stepped in.
"Nicholas was choking and I saw his face turn red," Jasiah said.
Posters are up in the lunchroom, but jasiah says he learned it from seeing it on television.
His mom says this is a great reminder of how important it is to teach first aid.
"He has a lot of confidence now," she says.
She's already dreaming of him becoming a paramedic.
The school district wants people to know they take the health and safety of their students seriously. There is a registered nurse on every campus and all staff are trained in first aid.
(Copyright (c) 2012 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)