Baby saves family in California home fire
FRESNO, Calif. (WHDH) -- A two-alarm fire ripped through a California home Thursday and eight people were able to escape thanks to a baby’s cry for help.
“She's our little savior right here. She definitely woke us up at the right appropriate time,” said the mother, Kristina Stewart.
Stewart heard popping sounds and told her boyfriend to check it out.
“So I go into the other room and I rush in real quick and just catch a face full of just black chemical smoke. Everything in that room was just burning,” said father, Brian Digger.
He yelled and woke up the other five people sleeping inside including three children and his girlfriend's parents. Brian grabbed a few things for the baby. But it was too late to save much else.
On Thursday afternoon they saw the damage inside for the first time.
“All their toys are gone, as you can see. There are no more toys,” said Stewart.
Stewart hunted for baby pictures and managed to find a few among the rubble.
“Yeah I really wanted to save these,” said Stewart.
The fire department called the home a total loss. It likely started with electrical wiring in a wall.
“They had been smelling some electrical smell, something slightly burning for the last couple of days,” said Battalion Chief Casey Clark, Fresno, Calif. Fire Department.
With most of their possessions gone the family is counting its blessings that everyone is safe.
“You gain and lose many things in life but as long as you got your family and friends around you, you'll always be rich,” said a renter, Patrick Leamy.