Suffolk DA Conley enters race for mayor of Boston
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley has declared his candidacy for mayor of Boston.
Conley told 7News Tuesday night, “I think I’m a good candidate. I think I have a lot to offer the citizens of Boston. So I think there are a lot of positive reasons I should run.”
In a written statement Wednesday, Conley said, “I intend to put my heart and soul (and several pairs of shoes) into this campaign. I ask for your support, your energy, and your ideas and together we’ll make Boston the most livable and workable city in America.”
He also said Boston needs a mayor who can make tough decisions, even when they offend powerful interests, and who can work with business and neighborhood groups.
Conley's decision comes a week after longtime Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced he would not seek an unprecedented sixth term in office.
Menino's decision was expected to trigger a political stampede of would-be successors.
“You judge a candidate by what they’ve done. Not what they say,” Menino said. “I’m not getting involved in it. I want to stay clear of it. I don’t want to say the mayor’s shadow is on anyone. I want to make sure the people of Boston have a good idea of who they’re electing the next mayor of the city.”
7News asked Senator Elizabeth Warren if she will endorse anyone.
“I haven’t gotten over the loss of Mayor Menino. So, not yet,” said Sen. Warren.
City Councilor John Connolly had formally declared his candidacy before Menino made the surprise announcement last week. State Rep. Martin Walsh and City Councilor Felix Arroyo are also eyeing the seat.
“Everybody’s jockeying, everybody’s trying to feel where their strengths are and where their weaknesses are, and do they have the resources to win the campaign,” Menino said.
Conley has an estimated $800,000 in campaign funds.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.