Bombing survivor Jeff Bauman to throw out first pitch
BOSTON (WHDH) -- Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman will throw out the first pitch at Fenway Park during a special pregame ceremony Tuesday evening.
Bauman lost both his legs in the April 15 explosion, but since those attacks he’s proven to be the definition of Boston Strong.
A picture of Bauman and a man in wearing a cowboy hat, Carlos Arrendondo, have become the iconic image of the bombings.
Bauman and Arrendondo will throw out the first pitch before Tuesday’s Red Sox game.
Bauman released the following statement: “As a life-long Sox fan, I am so grateful for this unforgettable opportunity. I can't think of any other place that symbolizes Boston's strength, perseverance and heart more than Fenway, and I am so proud to now be a part of its history. Thank you to the Red Sox organization for making this a day that I, my family and friends will hold on to forever.”
“Yeah it’s going to be awesome,” said Bauman told WEEI. “I haven’t thrown a ball from the chair yet, so I’m going to do that this afternoon.”
On the Dennis and Callahan morning show Tuesday, Bauman said he requested Jarrod Saltalamacchia as his catcher.
“He can make me look good. I’ll frame it,” said Bauman.
Saltalamacchia said he couldn’t be more honored.
“You know, in my mind he’s a hero. That was just such a traumatic time. Thinking back on it right now, it just brings a lot of emotions, a lot of memories and just pride, that we were able to come together and see how strong he was,” said Saltalamacchia.
Earlier in May, Bauman was an honorary fan banner captain at a Boston Bruins playoff game. He wore a Bruins jersey and waved a flag that read Boston Strong. Actor Bradley Cooper even visited him in the hospital, and Bauman visited other victims to help lift their spirits.
“I’m doing alright. I just take it one day at a time and just try to get stronger and look for the better things in life now,” said Bauman.
The game is scheduled to start around 7:10 p.m.